Monday, July 27, 2015

What makes a good image?

Often, my attention is directed towards a photo and I am asked, "Do you think this is good?"

My number one, first response is, "What is the purpose of the image, what do you hope to accomplish with the image?"

Photography really is about purpose.

Example:  Photo 1 could be used several ways.  Focus on the plant while maintaining a morning soft feel.  Photo 1 has no value if the purpose was to get details of the farm.


Photo 1
Photo 2 is only valuable if this is the only picture of the farm that exists.  It would be remarkably better if I had moved over two feet and avoided the blurred plant blocking the view of the farm.
Photo 2
Focus plays a major role in developing purpose.  I took both of these images on purpose to demonstrate how focus helps to see your purpose and accomplish your own intentions next time you are out shooting.


No comments:

Post a Comment