Thursday, December 4, 2014

Photo Challenge

This week, I was challenged to do a set of 12 shots using the Sunny 16 Rule.  The Rule states that on a sunny day you can shoot at F16 using an ISO and shutter speed that mirror each other. Example ISO at 200 would give you proper exposure at 1/200th shutter speed.  So, I go out and walk around my yard to see if I can learn anything.  Well the clouds mix with the sunshine and that, in itself, throws the rule off.  Determined to learn, I venture on. adjusting a few settings.  Then, I come to this awesome subject. I put aside the learning to get the image.
Sunny 16 Settings ~ F 16  ISO 200  SS 1/200

Aggravated at trying to figure out a "RULE" and not getting anywhere, I pop my camera over to the P (professional) and grab the image.  I LOVE and I mean LOVE the colors and excitement going on down in the center of the acorn husk. The raindrop is leaching a natural oak dye into the bowl. Anyway back to the challenge.
P settings ~ F5  ISO 200 SS 1/400 
I learned and know and understand the Triangle of settings.  I am slowly coming to understand the lenses and the effect of the zoom and bokeh and such that goes into an image. 
I also know how to get what I want out of an image if given enough time.  PURPOSE is MORE than HUGE when it comes to images.  Focal points, light, Depth of field are more to me than subjects I read about in a magazine or a tutorial.  
So, I walk around a little bit more to get the Sunny 16 completed, snapping interesting subjects.  The clouds make for challenges. 
Once I am at the computer (NO EDITS ALLOWED), I download and go to read an article on the Sunny 16 RULE.  http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/1565/the-sunny-16-rule/   I found it interesting, but I also understand WHY the rule is going away. TECHNOLOGY and PURPOSE.  The society is no longer dependent upon RULES to get an image to serve their purpose.  Rules become more like guides. the Sunny 16 is in my opinion a basic starting point to ALL the weather rules.  If you shoot in snow . . .  If it is cloudy. . . and so on.  I will ever be grateful to my photography teacher for the care and attention she put into our class.  The assignments may have been more of a curriculum than the teacher, but she put care into helping us understand what each element could do.  She is the reason my camera is a tool.  I USE MY CAMERA,  The camera does not dictate to me what the purpose of the image is.  My heart tells my mind what I want and my mind uses the camera.
That being said, here are the other images with the settings. 
^ f 16  400  1/400 V

 From the point on all images are F 16  200   1/200








I tried to only shoot when the sun was it's brightest so I could stay on the F 16 setting.  I need to read up on this rule more to better understand how to move away from it to get to my purpose.  I tend to shoot more portrait/detail which lends itself more to the open F stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment